Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Wednesday Nopropos

Yeah, you got me. I have the spring fever and my brain can only contemplate warm things. Ergo, I shaft you, my readers with short snippets of things running through my brain. Now with links!

Issue #1: Listen to this. yes, I know it is a video, but it's the music that is important. I would like to find about 100 other songs like it. It is happy-making music. Also, I like sampling and the 80s.

Issue #2: Watch this. In the words of Liz Lemon, "I want to go to there." But seriously, how can you not want to hang out here? Something you might not know about us, but we name our rays. It all started in the Bahamas when we went fishing with a local who then cooks what you caught. He throws the inedible bits into the water and stingrays come to eat it, and then you can play with the stingrays. We decided they needed names: Ray Charles, Billy Ray Cyrus, Man Ray, Stevie Ray Vaughn. Etc.

Issue #3: Can I recomplain about Cablevision? It keeps shows that are no longer on the air on my DVR recording schedule, but fails to record shows that I have asked it to that are actually on. I'm sure this has something to do with the inexplicable rule that should you not want to record one episode of a series you have set to record, Cablevision decides you will never again record any episodes of that series. Honestly, monkeys on tricycles could make a better DVR system. You people suck. Hard.

Issue #4: Bearing in mind that I am not a fan of sushi, where should we take the Frenchies' parents for dinner while they're here? We've thus far posited: Tabla (a non-French food fave of ours), Hill Country (they do not have brisket in France), and Grimaldi's (yes I know it's not the best pizza, but it's a good take out-of-towners place). I'm also thinking maybe a good burger. Or Ippudo for ramen. Think on that, and while you're at it, will there be any nice upscale bar that would have seats on a Saturday night for after dinner drinkies? You know we never go out, we're practically useless.

The weather forecast says it will get cooler tomorrow, and perhaps my brain will start working again. Please accept my warm-weather apologies in the meantime.

1 comment:

  1. Can't speak to Sushi specifically, but there's a billion Japanese places right around GCT and yet more down by Astor Place.

    Off the top of my head, Soba Totto on 43rd between 2nd and 3rd. Even better Sakagura, hidden in the basement of an office building two doors down on the same block. Get a res, but both should be subdued and impressive to parental types, while not being so crowded and such that getting a comfortable space would be difficult. See also, Yakitori Totto and Yakitori Tory from the same folks as Soba Totto.

    Really though, Japanese food is pretty widespread and, while France may not have quite so many options, I guarantee they have more Japanese than say, Korean. So, if you're looking for an 'experience'meal, you could do worse than to head down to Koreatown. Mangdansui (prolly totally mangled that) is on 35th Street and got a star from the Times not long ago. Shy of that, there are a million places on 32nd Street that would be good, starting with Kun Jip and BCD Tofu House. Also, Don's Bogam, which I posted about not long ago.

    All should be pretty exotic to visitors from anywhere but Asia or LA.

    Unrelated - no Katz's?

    ReplyDelete