Monday, January 4, 2010

The Other New Year's Resolutions

Everyone is back to the grind today along with all the resolutions for the new year: "I will lose 100 pounds while working out every day, quitting smoking and white flour, finding a man to marry, and getting serious about recycling."

Admirable. But not the whole story. What about the minor resolutions? Why do they get such short shrift? Sure, remembering to call your grandmother once a month might not be as momentous as dropping six dress sizes, but if you make it the whole year having remembered, once a month, to see if your grandmother is still alive (hi, Grandma, I call you at least once every 2-3 weeks because I love you! note: Grandma does not use the internet), that's worthy of the happy feeling of a job well done.

In this spirit, I would like to share with you my other New Year's resolutions:


  1. I will wash my face. Every day. At least once.
  2. I will make a really good stab at flossing regularly (is weekly considered regularly?).
  3. I will (a)handwash my unmentionables when I take them off at night so that I may (b)wear the emergency Hanes Her Way cotton jobs less frequently which will enable me to (c)throw out the Hanes Her Way cotton jobs that really should not be worn by a person without a medical condition.
  4. I will realize that even though the temperature feels like 10 degrees outside, this is not carte blanche to leave my house looking homeless.
  5. I will not consider floss the enemy.
  6. I will not, throughout 2010, eat a loaf of bread in one sitting and consider it a meal.
  7. I will take the $400 I would have blown at the Manolo Blahnik winter sale and put it into the vacation savings account.
  8. I will consider doing likewise at the Manolo Blahnik summer sale.
  9. I will get up at least two days a month and go take pictures of something. I will attempt to improve my skills (z?). This will be my dedicated taking pictures of stuff time, but will not preclude me from taking pictures other times.
  10. I will stock more than one roll of floss at a time so that when one roll is finished, I can not use my lack of floss as an excuse to not floss.
  11. I will change the polish on my toes more frequently than every time I either (a)go on vacation or (b)go to a wedding.
  12. I will use my new hair dryer at least once a week. This will help me to look not homeless even as it means I have to spend more time "doing myself up."
  13. I will throw out papers on my desk once their usefulness has expired - I'm looking at you car payment reminder from September.
  14. I will schedule an appointment to go to the dentist even as this means I will be chastised for my lack of flossing. I will remind the dentist that I am resolved to change this.
  15. I will throw out the plastic shoe boxes that I bought at The Container Store six years ago that I hated from the start and which now stand empty because I have two double-door closets in which I may store my shoes, on a dedicated ledge, covered by their shoe bags to prevent dustiness. This will let me see that I do not expressly need to visit the Manolo Blahnik winter or summer sales as I already own a satisfactory number of shoes.
  16. I will further remind myself that my calves are currently too "shapely" to fit into the pair of knee-high Manolo Blahnik boots I already own and that even were they on sale, I do not need a similar pair in brown. Not until they would, you know, fit.
  17. I will get the battery in my watch changed. It's been about five years. It might be time.
  18. I will understand that healthy teeth are important and that I would look really really bad without my teeth. This will help me understand the importance of flossing and, studies show, would decrease the amount of blood I spit out when I brush.
  19. I will not pick my nose while seated at my desk and consider any paper product "close enough" to a tissue. I will walk my fat ass to the bathroom for actual tissue.
  20. I will remember that, based on the number of packages shipped to our house during the holidays, my Amazon Prime membership has, already, paid for itself. This should help me to avoid purchasing things from Amazon multiple times per week (day) simply because I have Amazon Prime. I will deposit the savings into the vacation savings account.
  21. I will wear my existing pairs of Manolo Blahnik shoes more often, even in winter, because, by doing so, I will be reminded that it would not be a tragedy if 2010 was a year without a new pair.
  22. I have lived in Greenwich for five months. I will finally get a parking pass and stop paying daily. I will deposit the difference in price into the vacation savings account.
  23. I will make recipes from the cookbooks I already have before buying new cookbooks simply because I "like the pictures."
  24. I will realize that it is better to have the gross "floss gunk" on my fingers than where it was before, stuck between my teeth.
  25. In an effort to look less homeless, I will wear at least a tiny bit of makeup when I go to work.
  26. I will not purchase the Crest Pro-Health toothpaste again because the tube does not close and leaks all over the bathroom.
  27. I will no longer anthropomorphize my muffin top. No one is laughing.
  28. I will attempt to be at peace with Cablevision, even as they, without warning, took away FoodTV and HGTV. I will cease all thoughts of violent retribution and remind myself that FoodTV sucks, HGTV was fast becoming a dangerous obsession, and that living with privation is a part of life. (I will continue to hope that Time Warner Cable comes to my town.)
  29. I will get my car washed every 4-6 weeks. It costs 10 bucks and it makes the car look so nice and well taken care of.
  30. I will stop looking at pictures of people my age on Facebook and commenting on the sorry state of their skin. It is not a nice habit. I should be happy that I inherited good skin genes and not look at others and say, "what, they don't have sunscreen where you live?" Other people's wrinkles in no way ameliorate my fat.
  31. I will not have 50 pounds of citrus shipped to me this winter. I have enough citrus zest in my freezer to last a lifetime and I will never use it. I will buy citrus when I need it. They stock the same brand in the stores now, I don't need to order from the source.
  32. I will stop thinking of activities like flossing, face washing, hair drying, and makeup application as time stealers. After all, now that I no longer have HGTV, I have some extra time on my hands.
  33. I will pack the books I clearly am not taking to be donated in a box and put them in the attic. That is what attics are for, and they look ugly just stacked on top of my shelves.
  34. I will do the hand laundry backlog, frightening though it is, in shifts, if needs be.
  35. I will wear my perfume more often. It was a gift and, as I discovered, will go bad after five or so years if not used so that using it is less of a waste than not using it.
  36. I will seriously consider liking a less expensive brand of perfume.
  37. I will get Kate her Christmas presents before the boy's birthday. That gives me 6 weeks.
  38. I will round up all the shot, but undeveloped film from, presumably 2000-2002, and have it developed. I will hope there is nothing incriminating on any of the rolls.
  39. When I get home today I will make lemon curd before the lemons go bad. Because Meyer lemons are expensive and waste is stupid.
  40. Likewise, I will waste less produce overall. If this means more frequent trips to the store to buy fewer things, so be it.
  41. I will throw out the white chocolate that is so stale as to make it nearly impossible to work with. I will treat this as a learning experience and stop buying white chocolate, which I use infrequently, in 22lb. sacks.
  42. I will throw out clothing that has holes in it. So that I may look less homeless.
  43. I will throw out devoted partner's clothing that has holes in it (while he is not looking and with one or two notable sentimental exceptions). So that I may look less like a person who dates homeless people.
  44. I will impulse shop less at whole foods (marinated peppers), and when I do, I will make sure I use the impulsively shopped item before it goes bad (marinated peppers).
  45. Similarly, I will empty the fridge of items that have gone bad. Even when it is not garbage day. I will simply haul my ass downstairs and deposit the bag in the can. Which is outside. Where I cannot smell it.
  46. I will have a fridge that has only edible products in it. And weed. No. I did not write that.
  47. I will remember to put the coupon my mother lovingly clipped for me for $1.00 off jello pudding into my wallet, so that I will have it when I get to the store to buy yet more sugar-free jello cinnamon rice pudding, and will then be able to save $1.00.
  48. I will buy some sriracha - many fridges I have looked into recently have it and I feel left out.
  49. I will endeavor to floss my teeth regularly (at least every other day) and definitely after ingesting something that has poppy seeds in it, or similar.
  50. I will not blog another list for at least two weeks as I think I've pretty well mined the genre for the time being.

3 comments:

  1. Nice work, and good luck. I like flossing while watching TV, but it's much better to do it in the bathroom mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  2. forget flossing, I bought a water pick from bed bath and beyond and its 100 times easier and 20% more fun! they go for around $60 and can be found anywhere. Just saw one at Costco the other day.. gotta love Costco.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see us getting two and having water pick fights. How would you rate them vs. super soakers?

    ReplyDelete